打印 上一主题 下一主题

特朗普下餐馆,玛拉吃螃蟹--英文翻译练习

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2016-3-21 11:25 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |正序浏览 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 叶如钢 于 2016-3-22 10:27 编辑

What is Donald Trump like in person?
Eric Sokolsky (Publish in Quora 2016/3/17)

For being one of the richest men in the world, Donald Drumpf can be a real cheapskate.

I only met Donald Drumpf in person once and didn’t walk away impressed. In the early 90s I waited on him and Marla Maples at a small, family-style restaurant on the water in Montauk, NY — which was frequently patronized by major celebrities and public figures (music, film, sports, etc.). It wasn’t a 5-star restaurant to be sure, but the food/drinks and the service was always good, and we always treated our high-profile guests just like any other customer, which was always appreciated.

On this day, Marla decided she wanted an order of stone crab claws, which were typically served in-shell on a bed of crushed ice. Marla decided that extracting the meat was too difficult, so The Don sent the appetizer back to the kitchen and ‘asked’ (I use this word loosely) if the chef could crack the claws and extract the meat for her…

Chefs hate when food is returned for no reason. They also hate special orders, because it means that they have to stop what they’re doing — which delays all the other guests’ food — to take care of it. This particular chef also happened to be a millionaire himself who just cooked because he loved it. So when he heard that billionaire Donald Drumpf sent back an order of crab claws — it was irksome to say the least. Regardless, the chef cracked the dozen claws himself, extracted all the meat, arranged and plated it as a crab cocktail, and sent it back to the table.

When it arrived, Marla decided that she didn’t want it after all, and asked for it to be taken off the bill.

And, after all of that, Donald Drumpf — one of the richest men in the world — left me a 10% tip.

If asked about it, I’m sure that the incident would be beneath him to remember it. But if he did, I’m sure he would find fault with the restaurant, the management, the service, the chef, the menu, the food quality, the atmosphere, the decor, the pricing, the portions, the presentation and everything else before he would concede that what (s)he did was utterly pretentious, and that I was being penalized for Marla’s fickle taste.

Jerk.
回复

使用道具 举报

34#
 楼主| 发表于 2016-3-28 23:41 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 叶如钢 于 2016-3-28 23:43 编辑
林水云风 发表于 2016-3-28 21:46
这确是个问题,一开始我理解which应代指前两项(饮食、服务及平易待名流)。我昨晚回复你的问题时,反复 ...

因为原文语法不规范, 这里两种翻译都有一定道理。

回复

使用道具 举报

33#
发表于 2016-3-28 21:46 | 只看该作者
叶如钢 发表于 2016-3-28 20:37
仔细读原文。 本来, which was always appreciated 用的是单数, 应当是指 we always treated our high- ...

这确是个问题,一开始我理解which应代指前两项(饮食、服务及平易待名流)。我昨晚回复你的问题时,反复了几次,想要和你讨论这个问题,可到最后我又觉得which或就是指后一项了,遂改为“这平易颇受欢迎”。今天我便把这一句,用分号(;)分成了前后二意。这篇小文目测容易,译起来还真着实费劲呢。
回复

使用道具 举报

32#
发表于 2016-3-28 21:01 | 只看该作者
叶如钢 发表于 2016-3-28 20:07
"sent" 并非指川普自己把菜端回去。 比如寄信也是send.
这里就是让侍者端回去。

谢谢叶斑斑。
回复

使用道具 举报

31#
 楼主| 发表于 2016-3-28 20:37 | 只看该作者
林水云风 发表于 2016-3-27 14:24
“饭店因此颇受青睐”,译为“这平易颇受欢迎”,如何?
知道服务生不满老唐,但不满到什么程度,对其 ...

仔细读原文。 本来, which was always appreciated 用的是单数, 应当是指 we always treated our high-profile guests just like any other customer。 但是, 作者还写道 the food/drinks and the service was always good。 这里他也用单数动词。 所以, 他使用 was 是一个口语习惯。 这样看来, which was always appreciated 似乎应当理解为指 the food/drinks and the service was always good, and we always treated our high-profile guests just like any other customer。那么, appreciated 应当是包括口头上和小费上的表示。
回复

使用道具 举报

30#
 楼主| 发表于 2016-3-28 20:07 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 叶如钢 于 2016-3-28 20:09 编辑
蓝雨滴 发表于 2016-3-28 19:51
问好叶斑斑,林水云风君。
透过两位老师的讨论,学习到了很多。谢谢。
本来我也修改准备了二稿,看到难 ...

"sent" 并非指川普自己把菜端回去。 比如寄信也是send.
这里就是让侍者端回去。

我也没有吃过这道菜。

回复

使用道具 举报

29#
发表于 2016-3-28 19:51 | 只看该作者
问好叶斑斑,林水云风君。
透过两位老师的讨论,学习到了很多。谢谢。
本来我也修改准备了二稿,看到难点都已基本清晰,也就免了,嘿嘿。
不过还是有两个地方不太清楚,麻烦老师指点:
1. 按照字面意思,是唐纳德送回了蟹钳,但按照一般饭店的常规,食客是不允许进厨房的,而且后面的"heard"或者可以解释为并不是唐纳德送回了厨房?又或者唐纳德送回的时候厨师还不认识唐纳德?
2. 我并没有吃过这道菜,不知道是否是开胃菜?不过根据我们沿海城市的经验,这似乎是一道吊胃口的菜,因为味道鲜美而且吃起来很费时。

说的不对还请谅解哦。
回复

使用道具 举报

28#
发表于 2016-3-28 10:02 | 只看该作者
叶如钢 发表于 2016-3-28 08:24
挺好。

这个 jerk 在口语里常用, 可以很重, 也可以不那么重。 汉语似乎没有完全对等的词。 重的用 ...

谢谢,改在二稿里了。问好。
回复

使用道具 举报

27#
 楼主| 发表于 2016-3-28 08:24 | 只看该作者
林水云风 发表于 2016-3-27 14:24
知道服务生不满老唐,但不满到什么程度,对其 ...

挺好。

这个 jerk 在口语里常用, 可以很重, 也可以不那么重。 汉语似乎没有完全对等的词。 重的用法可以翻译成混蛋。但这里不合适。 小布什弟弟也说川普是 jerk, 还说那是 well-known。

我觉得服务生很不喜欢川普。 当然不仅仅是因为那件事。 用 jerk 这个词来说川普, 是相当不客气的。没有任何尊重可言。

回复

使用道具 举报

26#
发表于 2016-3-27 14:24 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 林水云风 于 2016-3-27 23:55 编辑
叶如钢 发表于 2016-3-27 13:22
精彩。
唯一我觉得尚可斟酌之处是“饭店因此颇受青睐”, 这里是说名流客人很喜欢平易性招待, 但并不能 ...

知道服务生不满老唐,但不满到什么程度,对其心里感受一直未把握好,所以影响理解,对jerk怎样译,重译轻译,是暴粗还是轻嗔,哪个符合作者的心里,也一时不好揣摩,但觉得轻描淡写宣泄一下可能好些,故用了“靠”。
回复

使用道具 举报

小黑屋|手机版|中国诗歌流派网

GMT+8, 2024-6-9 07:33